Sunday, June 22, 2008

second sock syndrome

i am not sure if this happens to you, but it happens to the fam and me. we go to a friends house that is miles away, say for thanksgiving supper. it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get there. we spend all day visiting and eating, etc., and climb back in the car for the long drive home. but the drive home seems to zip by and in seemingly no time at all, we are home. it may have taken the same amount of time but it just feels like time zips by.


that is how i feel about knitting socks. today i finished the cute husbands socks. the first sock took F-O-R-E-V-E-R, the second one took seemingly seconds. seconds! the first one was started last october, i think, with hopes of finishing the pair for his birthday at the end of november. this obviously didn't happen. the second one was started about 6 weeks ago. yes i realize i am one of the slowest knitters ever, but this second sock did take a much shorter time. and, to my defense, i did finish a lot of other projects while i was knitting on these. really.
i signed up for the summer of socks 2008 where prizes are being awarded every two weeks for those who finish a pair of socks within the two week parameters. i don't think i will ever be able to enter their contests, because i am such a slow knitter, but i will have a great time trying! next up on the sock knitting needles is a pair of sports socks for the big guy and a pair of leg warmers (mac and me yoga socks) for my sweet friend.

in the meantime, here are the specifics of the socks!
yarn: lorna's laces shepard sock in chocolate, 2 1/4 hank
pattern: broken garter rib from sensational knitted socks, size big!
needles: two circulars, size 2
model: the feet of my cute husband
photographer: me

2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

Hah! Second Sock Syndrome for most is that the first sock never gets to look like the second one... which is why I never finish the **FIRST** sock. I am now going to make a serious attempt at baby booties... maybe if they're really wee socks, no one can see they're not exactly alike... and Baby won't care, certainly...

David T. Macknet said...

I think I can understand what you mean about the second taking shorter - it's the same way with me & hats, when I've done a second one right after having perfected the pattern. The second doesn't involve much thought, 'cause I already know how to do what I want to do.

They look good!