i kept wondering why the hat was looking like a tube and why the yarn wasn't being consumed as it had in the previous two hats . i needed to knit 5 1/2 inches and then start the decreases for the crown. just as i got to 5 1/2 inches i realized i hadn't done the increase round right after the 1 inch of 2x2 ribbing, 5 1/2 inches ago. which is why the hat looked like a tube and not as much yarn was being used.
holy knitting blunders, batman!
so i frogged back to the ribbing, picked up the frogged stitches with a size 0 needle. un-knit for a few rows to make sure no stitches were dropped and everything was where it was supposed to be. and then i knit on.
by the end of the day i had knit 2+ inches. the hat no longer looked like a tube and the right amount of yarn was being used.
yup, that is how we roll here...